Home » Specialist Areas » Divorce, Separation and Cohabitation 

Divorce, Separation and Cohabitation 

If you’re a woman and you are thinking about going through a divorce or separation, we could assist you to come to a mutual legal agreement with the other party regarding finances, property, and child arrangements. As leading divorce and family law solicitors, we understand how difficult divorce and separation can be, especially when there are children, shared finances, or shared properties involved. 

We will work with you to try and achieve a fair and amicable agreement with the other party, with the aim of making the process as smooth and efficient as possible. 

Thinking About Divorcing or Separating

When you make the decision to end your marriage or relationship, your life will change massively. Where you live, when you see your children, and your finances will all be impacted by this decision. It’s important to take reasonable steps to determine if a divorce or separation is the best route for you.

Should you decide that separation is the best solution, you can speak to one of our specialist divorce law solicitors to get a better idea of what might happen next and the steps you need to take to formally separate. 

Child Arrangements 

If you and your partner have children, you should try and work together to create an agreement about how they will be looked after; however, this is not always possible. At Affordable Justice, we can assist you with this by negotiating on your behalf or making proposals for arrangements that you feel comfortable with.

You don’t always need to go to court to decide these things – if you can come to a mutual agreement together about how much time they will spend with each parent (including where they will live), you can agree out of court either directly, with the assistance of solicitors, or via mediation. 

If you’ve agreed with your partner on child arrangements but want to make the agreement legally binding, we can help you with this. If you can’t agree on child arrangements and mediation has failed, the court can make a decision based on the best interests of the child. We can provide legal representation if you need to apply to the court. 

We help women who cannot access legal aid and who can’t afford the prices charged by high street law firms. If you’re a woman and need legal advice surrounding child arrangements following the breakdown of your relationship, we may be able to help you. 

Finances and Property

Most couples who divorce or separate need to plan how they are going to live separately, which means an agreement needs to be made on how finances and property are going to be divided. You will also need to consider any pensions, savings, and investments either of you may have. As with child arrangements, if you’re able to come to a mutual agreement, you don’t necessarily need to go to court.

Once you’ve agreed, you can apply for a consent order which will make your agreement legally binding once a judge has considered the same and approved the contents. We can help you prepare the application and ensure the terms meet your needs and cover all the issues involved that are relevant to you.

If you can’t come to an agreement, mediation may be appropriate, or you can apply to the court for further assistance. You may need legal representation to do this, and we can also help with that. 

Discuss Your Needs with us

You can discuss your family law needs with us and find out more about how we may be able to help you by calling 01482 711003 or sending an email to info@affordablejustice.co.uk